It is true that some controversy still surrounds Reiki, because it is hard to prove its effectiveness through scientific protocols. However, many people who receive Reiki say it helped them, and its popularity is increasing. And there are now sufficient peer-reviewed, published research results available to begin to sort out Reiki’s effectiveness in various areas.
Reiki is increasingly offered in hospital, hospice, and private practice settings, applied to a variety of illnesses and conditions. Those who receive such treatments report relief of symptoms from numerous health challenges, including mental health issues. Research shows that reiki primarily helps in the reduction of stress, anxiety and depression, as well as relief of chronic pain — the last of which can bring on anxiety and depression, or make episodes worse.
8 Great Reasons to try Reiki
1. Time to yourself – Finding time to spend on yourself these days can be hard; a Reiki session gives you a great reason to focus on your own well-being without interruption. To receive a treatment is to take time out to stop, rest and recalibrate on a level that harmonizes mind, body and spirit.
2. Counteract anxiety, stress and depression – Reiki allows the mind to slow down and relax, shifting from the stressor dominance of the sympathetic nervous system, to the relax, rest and replenish aspect of the parasympathetic nervous system. Studies have shown that Reiki helps people to feel more optimistic and less hopeless.
3. Ease pain – Stress causes inflammation to build up in the body, which may delay healing and cause pain. Research shows that people who participate in Reiki sessions report feeling less stressed and more relaxed. With such a deep relaxation response and calming effect, Reiki can help to alleviate pain, reduce tension in muscles and help release mental and emotional stress. Many people say the treatment helps to reduce pain from a variety of conditions, including migraine, arthritis and sciatica.
4. Balance emotions – Reiki treatments on a regular basis can bring about a calmer and more peaceful state of being. It raises and refreshes the spirit and provides a deep sense of peace and calm that helps to restore a positive mind and outlook.
5. Speed up the healing process – Multiple research studies have explored the possibility of using Reiki to help patients who are preparing for or recovering from surgery. These studies have shown that people who participate in Reiki sessions before and after surgery are less likely to feel anxious than those who do not. Because anxiety may inhibit the healing process, it stands to reason that reducing anxiety through Reiki sessions may be beneficial to the healing process.
6. Prevent illness and burnout – Even if you have no immediate health concerns, attending Reiki sessions can help to keep you balanced and potentially prevent stress related illness and burnout.
7. Encourage better sleep – Reiki can be helpful in restoring normal sleep patterns, because it produces feelings of relaxation, reduces stress, anxiety and pain - all of which can interfere with a good night's sleep - people often report that they notice improved sleep quality after beginning Reiki therapy.
8. It doesn’t interfere with other treatments – Reiki will not interfere with other medical treatments, making it safe to use alongside other allopathic and holistic modalities.